Highlights of Center
What is Unique about The Center?
- Established in 2000, The Center for Balanced Living is the only free-standing, non-profit organization in Ohio providing specialized eating disorder services.
- We treat males and females ages 16+ (the average age is 36).
- We offermultidisciplinary services in one location, improving communication among providers.
- Our clinical experts have received specialized supervision in eating disorder treatment and research.
- We actively involve family/supports in all of our programs, educating them to be part of the treatment team
- We approach food as “medicine,” providing individualized meal plans and educating clients and families/supports on how to “dose” food based on macronutrients.
- Movement and yoga are incorporated into all of our programs.
- Using neurobiological research as a basis for care, we practice evidence-based treatments for eating disorders, including Enhanced and Integrated Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (ICAT and CBT-E), Family Based Therapy (FBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT).
- Our President/CEO, Laura Hill, PhD, has received national recognition for her work with Walter Kaye, MD, University of California, San Diego (UCSD), pioneering the development of eating disorder treatments based on brain research.
- Through collaboration with UCSD, we have developed the first neurologically-based treatment for anorexia nervosa and have begun testing its impact with clients and families throughout the United States and in other countries.
Snapshot of Services
- 5 Day Intensive Treatment for Eating Disorders(NEW FED TR): Intensive treatment for clients ages 18+ with anorexia traits. Family/support attends all 40 hours of treatment with client. Offered the second full week of each month, Sun-F.
- M’s Place Partial Hospital Program for Eating Disorders(PHP-ED): Specialized day treatment program for eating disorders for clients ages 18+. Meets 30 hours/week, M-F.
- M’s Aftercare Program (MAP): Specialized intensive outpatient program (IOP) for clients transitioning from PHP-ED to outpatient care.
- Intensive Outpatient Programs for Eating Disorders (IOP-ED) Specialized, eight-week eating disorder treatment for clients ages 16+. Meets 9 hours per weekon M/W evenings and Saturday mornings.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Intensive Outpatient Program (DBT-IOP): Intensive outpatient program based on DBT principles targeting general mental health concerns for clients with eating disorders
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Binge Eating Disorder (DBT-BED): Weekly DBT skills training group for individuals with binge eating disorder.
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Eating Disorders (DBT-ED): Weekly skills education group for people struggling with eating disorders and long-standing patterns of behavior interfering with: forming relationships, maintaining mental health, and using effective coping skills.
- Help with Overcoming Problem Eating (HOPE) Group: Outpatient psychoeducation group for clients ages 25+ who struggle with binge eating or overeating.
- Free Eating Disorder Support Groups: Groups for anorexia nervosa, bulimia nervosa, binge eating disorder and family & friends. Open to the public. Held the first and third Tuesday of each month, 6:30 pm-8:00 pm.
- Alumni Program: Keeping clients connected after treatment.
- Educational Programs, Conferences, Webinars and Videos