CEO Job Description
Job Description: CEO
Position Overview: This position is the Leader and Visionary for The Center for Balanced Living. The President and CEO will insure the future viability of the organization through oversight of the business of the Center. The President/CEO reports to the Board of Directors and directly to the Board Chairperson.
- Leads development and execution of a visionary, strategic plan including but not limited to the Center’s mission of treatment, education and research.
- Develops and maintains fiscal sustainability through: Oversight and leadership of clinical treatment related operations to achieve strong positive cash flow; Leading fundraising & grants efforts and/or development of other sustainable funding sources i.e. social enterprise
- Develops and maintains strategic partnerships, collaborations and affiliations with other organizations, locally and nationally.
- Is active, visible and represents The Center in the community.
- Raises and increases community awareness of the mission of The Center for Balanced Living.
- Develops, nurtures, maintains positive and effective relationships with the Board of Directors, community leaders, foundations, donors, ambassadors, staff and other stakeholders.
- Develops and maintains positive relationships with other Eating Disorder Programs and organizations locally, nationally and internationally.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Makes employment decision inclusive of hiring and termination of direct reports. Guides, supervises, sets goals, evaluates and mentors the Chief Finance Officer, Chief Operating Officer, Director of Human Resources, Chief Clinical Officer and CEO Administrative Assistant.
- Provides leadership to and collaborates with the management team to achieve annual goals and objectives.
- Leads strategic planning process (with the Board & Staff) to keep the Center evolving with the changing healthcare challenges and the changing needs of the eating disorder clients/families. Assures alignment with the mission, vision, and values.
- Encourages and engages the management team and staff members in creative problem-solving and issue resolution.
- Effectively interacts with Board members, donors, community leaders, families and key stakeholders to build support for and advocate for the mission of the Center.
- Collaborates with the Chief Clinical Officer and the Chief Finance Officer/Chief Operating Officer to maintain CARF accreditation.
- Serves as the chief advocate for the Center’s mission, programs and services in the community and legislature.
- Speaks to foundations, donors, corporate sponsors, and community boards to develop community relations and liaisons.
- Guides and assists in the development and implementation of public relations strategies and activities to include print materials, media relations, electronic and web media/resources.
- Collaborates with the Board on matters of governance, strategic planning, goal setting, mission, vision and values.
- Serves as a member on Development Committee, Executive Committee and Governance Committee.
- Recommends governance policy changes as needed.
- Reports to the Board adherence to and progress on strategic plan goals and objectives.
- With the Chief Financial Officer and the Chief Clinical Officer serves as a liaison between the Center staff and the Board.
- Takes guidance from the expertise and resources of the Board.
- Provides accurate and timely information to the Board and Board Chair.
- Works with the Board to develop and fulfill fundraising, marketing and programmatic goals.
- Works with the Board Chair to prepare meeting agendas and information dissemination.
- Provides guidance and development to senior management staff in the areas of operations, finance, communications and programs.
- With the Chief Clinical Officer as the lead, assists with the design, promotion, delivery, quality and evaluation of the Center clinical and research programs and services.
- With the Chief Finance Officer as the lead collaborates to establish and maintain clear fiscal priorities.
- Collaborates and supports the Chief Finance Officer in the development, implementation and oversight of the annual budget.
- In collaboration with the Chief Finance Officer ensures that the Center is in compliance with all financial and human resource laws, policies and procedures and operates at the highest level of ethics and integrity. Ensures a safe work environment for staff.
- Ensures that annual performance goals and objectives for the Center and staff are set, reviewed, evaluated.
- Works with the Chief Operating Officer to support the on-going maintenance of the Center’s facility.
- Effectively communicates through various media to staff and management.
- Uses excellent verbal and written skills to communicate and perform public presentations.
- Provides support and consultation on hiring and performance issues as needed.
Fundraising and Development:
- Collaborates with the Board to develop an annual fundraising strategic plan and annual fundraising goals.
- Actively identifies and cultivates relationships with foundations, donors, corporate sponsors, and partners in the community.
- Supports and engages the Board in fundraising activities.
- Engages staff support of fundraising activities.
- Demonstrates personal integrity, honesty and ethical behavior in the performance of the duties and responsibilities of the President and CEO. Models this behavior for others.
- Demonstrates a collaborative and collegial philosophy that encourages staff engagement and participation.
- Ability to navigate through different and conflicting stakeholder priorities and needs.
- Diplomacy and sensitivity to interact with a wide array of personalities and confidential information.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in the service of innovation.
Professional Experience and Qualifications: (Minimum Qualifications)
- Bachelor’s degree required in Business, Healthcare fields or Human Services. Advanced degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive management experience required. Non-profit experience preferred.
- 3-5 years of demonstrated success/experience in fundraising and development activities. Leading fundraising efforts preferred
- 1-3 years working with a Board of Directors.
Experience in the Eating Disorder field preferred